There are several notable points of interest and facts related to Westerville:
*The Westerville Inn Bed and Breakfast was originally built as a one room log cabin in 1854 to house a widow and her eleven children. Today The Westerville Inn sits on a half acre lot with perennial gardens, an herb garden, a fish pond and many bird feeders all fringed by a white picket fence. Inside the B&B you will find antiques, and quiet places for reading or relaxing. This lovely setting is surrounded by Alum Creek Park, adjacent to the campus of Otterbein College, and within walking distance to historic Uptown Westerville.
I can attest to the inn’s exceptional location and serene ambiance. I happened to stay at the inn when I came with my sister (who lives in Australia) visit my son who was attending Otterbein College. The gardens were so stunning that they inspired her to write a post on her blog site: Queensland Holiday Guides by Faye Kotsis about the Bisbane’s Botanic Gardens which are located close to the city centre. Recognized as Queensland’s premier subtropical botanic gardens, Brisbane Botanic Gardens Mount Coot-tha display a number of distinctly different gardens arranged in thematic and geographical displays. In the post she mentions among other tidbits, the magnificent Bamboo Grove which was planted in commemoration of the bamboo collection that was lost in 1937. The Bamboo Grove is a collection of twenty-three different varieties of bamboo species. The Westerville Inn Bed and Breakfast does not have bamboo, but their Foxglove, Alstroemeria (Peruvian lilies), Asters, Catmint, Coneflowers (Echinacea), Forget-me-nots (Myosotis sylvatica), etc were stunning in full bloom.
* Cheryl & Co. (originally, Cheryl’s Cookies) was founded in 1981, and is still based there.
* Worthington Industries has a factory operating out of Westerville. Worthington Industries is a global company that processes steel for use in the automotive, aerospace, construction, hardware, and many other industries. It’s factory in Westerville is just one of its 82 facilities throughout 11 countries. Its philosophy based on the Golden Rule towards not only its customers, but also its employees and shareholders has earned Worthington Industries the honor of being named one of the Most Admired Companies in their industry’s marketplace by Fortune magazine.
* The ACS (The American Ceramic Society) is a non-profit organization founded in 1899 in Columbus, Ohio, and is headquartered in Westerville.
* Pluck Force is an ad agency focused on medical products. They recently made the headlines with their over the counter std test kits, which enable anyone concerned that they may have contracted an std to privately test themselves, avoiding the embarrassment of having to contact a medical professional for an initial exam. Stds have become a national emergency recently due to the ease with which people can find sexual hookups using the internet. Pluck also promotes over the counter remedies for poison ivy, sunburn, and minor skin ailments.
* In October of 1908, Wilson and Carrie Cellar started The Cellar Lumber Company – it’s now Westerville’s oldest operating businesses.
* The wealthiest families in Westerville are dentists and orthodontists who seem as if they like to gamble a lot since they make a number of trips to Las Vegas each year. What really is happening is they are visiting an orthodontist Las Vegas office for treatment of their own teeth. Family members also tag along for orthodontic work. In fact one of the younger daughters who is a friend of my teenager calls her her smile “the invisible braces Las Vegas mouth!” Hansen Orthodontics are known for their special cosmetic care- “Smile Makeover”. The excuse these dentists and orthodontists mention for traveling all the way to Las Vegas is that it’s important they seek out the best professionals to help keep their professional image of great looking teeth nice and shiny. Quite frankly I think it’s just a ploy to vacation in that great city in the middle of Nevada with the great shows, great spas, lots of entertainment, and of course gambling. But what do I know!
* Schneider’s Bakery is known for opening in the early morning hours (between 1:00 to 1:30 AM) and is heavily populated by Otterbein students on early morning doughnut runs.
* Westerville is home to numerous other business ranging from Amish Originals Furniture Company, Barstow Gifts & Engraving, Captivating Canines, Cook’s Balloonery & Helium, J.C. Manny Logo Apparel Co., LLC, Morgan’s Treasure Custom Jewelry, Proforma Marketing & Graphics, Roush Hardware, Inc., to our own Walmart Westerville Plaza where you can find all your clothing needs from swimsuits to fleece jackets and everything in between.
* The town’s center is referred to as “Uptown Westerville”, and its storefronts along State Street are mostly the original architecture.
There are lots of interesting facts about the area. We find them all to be very entertaining. We’ll list more on another page a little later.